Tuesday 21 October 2014

The Sith fighter

Today I began working on my next Star Wars ship model, The Sith fighter. The images I used to aid in creating this model were:

 The Base/Cockpit

I began by creating the base/cockpit of the model which did not consist of any advanced techniques. The front of the model is a cylinder with reduced axis sub divisions which can be applied through the attribute editor. I then proceeded to use the move tool to bring the front of the cylinder forward and then used the scale tool to make the cylinder become progressively thinner.

 The engine of the ship also consists of another cylinder. To manipulate its shape to create thin and thick parts of the shape, I used the extrude tool. The steps I took were:

1. Select all the faces on the back of the cylinder.
2. Use the "extrude face" tool to extrude the faces.
3. Use the scale tool and reduce the size of the faces selected.
4. Extrude the faces again (skip if making progressively thinner/thicker) and use the move tool to stretch them backwards.
5. Repeat when needed.


The Wings

I began creating the wing by creating the connections between the base and the wing. The first part consisted of two cubes. The first cube included the use of the "Difference" tool which can be found under the Mesh drop down bar in the Boolean tools. This allowed me to manipulate the cube by putting another cube inside the shape where I wanted it to be cut as shown in the screenshot below.

After I had completed one side of the wings I used the group feature (CTRL + G) and named the group "right wing." I then duplicated the right wing group and reversed the scale of the Z axis from 1 to -1. This gave me an issue where all the faces began inside out (appeared black) which I was able to fix by reversing the normals. (Normals > Reverse.)

The result was this:

 Now that I finished designing my Sith fighter, I made sure that all the groups I created during the creation of the model were named and organised properly by opening the Outliner from the Window drop down. I also began preparing the texture all three of the star wars models I had designed.





No comments:

Post a Comment